Since our founding in October 1996, the Harvey Public Schools District 152 Educational Foundation, Inc. has helped District 152 achieve many goals by raising funds to support and/or sponsor existing projects, programs, or new initiatives. The Board of Directors is comprised of a diverse group of business leaders. They work diligently to help improve the quality of education for approximately thirty-six hundred (3,600) students. This effort makes a positive impact on student achievement.
Due to the generosity of individuals and businesses who supported the fund raising efforts of the Board of Directors, the following programs and initiatives have been implemented for the students, staff and members of the school community.
- Enabled students to participate in Nature's Classroom in Spring Green, Wisconsin. The sixth grade students participated in an outdoor education program for one week during spring break.
- Supported the partnership between Brooks Junior High School National Honor Society and Governors State University. This is a year-round program whereby students are taught leadership skills and economics.
- Funded grant proposals which enabled district staff to use innovative and creative teaching in the classroom. The focus has been on improving student achievement in reading.
- Sponsored a Perfect Attendance Campaign in order to improve student attendance. There was a 1.2% increase in student attendance during the 1997-1998 school year. This generated an additional $156,000 in general state aid for the 1998-1999 school year.
- Supported the district's technology project with special emphasis on developing a district training facility for staff and community members at the Administrative Center.
- Partnered with District 152 and the United States Golf Association (USGA) to establish and organize a golf program for students in grades 6-8. This program emphasizes self-discipline, builds self-esteem, teaches the history of golf, and presents job opportunities associated with golf.
- Established additional partnerships with the Odyssey Golf Clubhouse and Preferred Meals.